Caramel Pecan Tart
Caramel Pecan Tart Recipe
How to Make Caramel Pecan Tart
1 cup all-purpose flour (unbleached)
1/2 cup CAKE FLOUR
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut up
3 tablespoons shortening, chilled
3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 cups pecan halves, toasted*
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.Place all-purpose flour, cake flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt in food processor, pulse to combine. Add 6 tablespoons butter and shortening , process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some pea sized- pieces. Add 3 tablespoons of the ice water, process just until dough begins to form, adding additional water 1 teaspoon at a time if necessary (Dough also can be mixed by hand using a pastry blender or two knives.) Shape into flat round, cover and refrigerate 45 minutes.
2. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 12-inch round. Line 10 inch tart pan with dough; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pan. Turn edge of dough under, even with edge of pan; crimp. Freeze 30 minutes or until firm.
3. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375 degrees. Line crust with foil. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 15 minutes; remove pie weights or dried beans. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
4. To make filling, place 1 cup cream and 2 tablespoons of butter in small sauce pan; heat over medium heat until butter melts and mixture is hot. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm
5. Place 1 1/3 cups sugar, 1/2 cup water and corn syrup in large saucepan, cover and cook over medium heat, without stirring, until sugar dissolves. Uncover; with pastry brush down any sugar crystals on side of saucepan. Increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil; until sugar golden brown, watching carefully. Remove from heat; beat slowly add hot cream. (Be Careful as mixture will bubble up.) Stir until boiling stops and mixture is smooth. Stir in pecans and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
6. Let stand 15 minutes to cool slightly. Pour into baked crust. Cool completely on wire rack, at least 3 hours or until set but still soft.
7. In medium bowl beat all topping ingredients until soft peaks form. Serve tart at room temperature with whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers.
*Tip to toast peacans, place on baking shee; bake at 375 degrees for 4 to 6 minutes or until slightly darker in color. Cool.